Friday, April 3, 2009

My 2-Year Old Practices Manipulation

I’m just going to be blunt: I fear my child doesn’t respect me. When I put her in time-out, she just laughs and usually tries to leave. I try my hardest to use my firmest voice and stance, but she just seems to think I’m playing a game. Those 2 minutes last an eternity while I hear myself saying, “Fiona. Fiona. Look at me. Do I look like I’m laughing? We are not playing a game.” It doesn’t sink in. What’s worse is that my 2 year old is already cultivating the art of manipulation. She will wander from her time-out spot with her arms outstretched, pleading, “Mommy hug you?”

Admittedly this is at time amusing, but also a little alarming. I don’t want to raise an undisciplined brat. I suspect I am the problem because Fiona doesn’t play these games with Dad, only me. With Dad she cries and does what is expected in time-out. Any tips on properly exerting parental authority?

No comments: