Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Former Fashionista


Fiona picked this out herself in the store.
 Yet another confession: pre-kids I loved fashion. I do not know if I would be considered a fashionista, but I enjoyed going to the outlets on the weekends, usually by myself so that my friends' style wouldn't influence mine, and picking up the latest deals. In my 20's for the first time I had the ability to go to the store on my own when I wanted, and if I didn't see anything I liked, I didn't buy, knowing that I would be back another time. For the first time I had a respectable wardrobe, and I loved to accessorize.

When I was a teenager, I didn't have the best style, mostly because I had to pick out clothes when my Mom had the time and money to bring me to the store and I had to pick what was there, even if I didn't really love the selection, and had to settle for something that I didn't hate. I had to settle because I didn't know when my Mom would bring me back to the store. My Mom's style, while respectable for her age, was not appropriate for me, and she ended up influencing me and I also fell victim to the many trends of the time-remember penny loafers?

Now I'm almost back in the same place because I find I don't have a lot of "me time" to go off to the store and shop. The few times I did shop in the last 3 years, it was usually a family affair with the hubs influencing my style this time, and I always felt rushed. My wardrobe has slowly deteriorated to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if one of my friends nominated me for "What Not To Wear." I probably wouldn't be picked however, because I wouldn't challenge Clinton and Stacy's advice. Unlike the typical contestant who seems to challenge the hosts, I would say, "Sure do what you gotta do." Clinton and Stacy clearly look better than me, and I can't understand why the slutty / unkempt contestants can't accept Clinton and Stacy are the experts. I would be too agreeable, making for very boring TV.

All the energy I put into dressing myself is now directed towards my 3 year old. For some reason, it seems easier to dress her because she gets cute clothes as gifts from relatives, and young kids can get away with wearing stuff, such as crazy tights, that I cannot get away with anymore since I have, ahem, hit an age where such things look ridiculous aren't appropriate.

There are limitations, however. First of all, she is [gasp] getting a mind of her own, and I know I should encourage that, but it reminds me that I won't be able to dress her like my little doll forever. Second of all, there aren't many practical places where I can dress her in her cutest outfits. At school, for safety reasons, she must wear leggings or shorts under skirts and cannot wear sandals, crocks, or any open toe shoe. She can't wear a lot of jewelry either. I have invested in leggings, sneakers, and Mary Jane's.

I always said when I had kids I wouldn't become one of those Moms on the make-over shows who had let their look go in favor of making their kids look cute. I did what I said I would never do and have adopted the "Mom look." But what's a time-strapped (and cash-strapped) Mom to do?

No comments: